Descendants of James Nicholas (Patrilineage for Participant #N9713, Robert Nicholas, is shown in bold font; to contact Robert, email him at RJNICK@OPTONLINE.NET)
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES2 NICHOLAS (JOHN1) was born 1770 in VA or N.C, and died Abt. 1820 in Wayne Co. KY. He married POLLY PROCTOR May 21, 1792 in Fort Boonesborogh, Madison Co, Ky, daughter of MICAJAH PROCTOR and ELIZABETH BANKS. She was born March 23, 1774 in VA.
Notes for JAMES NICHOLAS:
In my never ending search for Nicholas family history I have found that James Nicholas fought in the Battle of Kings Mountain in South Carolina along the boarder of North Carolina on October 7, 1780.
The Battle at Kings Mountain was one of the first battles in the American Revolution which turned the tide against the British and lead towards the independence of America from the British. If you have seen the Movie The Patriot with Mel Gibson it is based on some of the events of the Battle of Kings Mountain.
As of now no Nicholas researchers have been able to determine definitively where the Nicholas family came from prior to moving to KY. Some clues have pointed to Shenandoah Co, Va also Halifax Co, NC and Iredell Co , NC. Some researchers also believe the family first came from York Co, or Bucks Co, PA and moved south via the Shenandoah valley to KY .
I have found evidence that James and Daniel were married in Madison Co, Ky at Fort Boonesville, James Nicholas to Polly Proctor in1792 and Daniel Nicholas to Mary Alexander 1790. This information follows family stories my Grand Father Ralph Nicholas told me that our family knew Daniel Boone and was with him in Kentucky.
John Nicholas and his sons James, Daniel, William, George, Stephen and Francis received land grants in 1798 for land along the Otter Creek in Wayne Co, KY ( South of the Green River land grants ) in what was Cumberland Co and Green Co, Ky ( now Wayne and Pulaski Co, KY)
The origins of the Nicholas line in America are most likely in the Cornwall area of England or Wales where the Nicholas name is quite common and goes back as far as 956 AD or before.
Notes for POLLY PROCTOR:
Polly Proctor parents were some of the original settlers of Fort Booneborogh , Madison Co, Ky with Daniel Boone and Richard Henderson..
Children of JAMES NICHOLAS and POLLY PROCTOR are:
i. ELVINA3 NICHOLAS.
2. ii. ANNE NICHOLAS, b. 1797, Washington Co Tenn; d. Pulaski co KY.
3. iii. MATILDA NICHOLAS, b. Abt. 1805, Wayne Co, Ky; d. 1847, Wayne Co, Ky.
4. iv. JAMES NICHOLAS, b. 1807, Wayne Co. KY; d. Abt. 1860, Mill Springs, Wayne Co. KY.
Generation No. 2
2. ANNE3 NICHOLAS (JAMES2, JOHN1) was born 1797 in Washington Co Tenn, and died in Pulaski co KY. She married JEREMIAH PIERCE 1822 in Pulaski co ky, son of FRANCIS PIERCE and ELIZABETH. He was born 1798 in Wilkes Co, North Carolina, and died in Pulaski Co, KY.
Notes for JEREMIAH PIERCE:
Jeremiah Pierce was a shoe maker
Children of ANNE NICHOLAS and JEREMIAH PIERCE are:
5. i. CORNELIUS4 PIERCE, b. 1821.
6. ii. WILLIAM F PIERCE, b. 1823.
iii. WASHINGTON PIERCE, b. 1827.
iv. DELILA PIERCE, b. 1834; m. JOSHUA SHREWBERRY, July 15, 1851, Wayne Co, Ky.
v. JESSIE PIERCE, b. 1835.
vi. ELVIRA PIERCE, b. 1838.
3. MATILDA3 NICHOLAS (JAMES2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1805 in Wayne Co, Ky, and died 1847 in Wayne Co, Ky. She married MORDECAI GREGORY August 23, 1827 in Wayne Co, Ky, son of HIRAM GREGORY and MARY LOGSDON. He was born 1809, and died Abt. 1859.
Children of MATILDA NICHOLAS and MORDECAI GREGORY are:
7. i. USLEY4 GREGORY, b. 1825, Wayne Co, Ky; d. Abt. 1924.
ii. HIRAM GREGORY, b. 1830.
iii. ELIZABETH GREGORY, b. 1839.
4. JAMES3 NICHOLAS (JAMES2, JOHN1) was born 1807 in Wayne Co. KY, and died Abt. 1860 in Mill Springs, Wayne Co. KY. He married ELIZA DIZA PARTON in Wayne Co. KY, daughter of BENJAMIN PARTON and MARY PARTIN. She was born 1813 in Halifax N.C., and died in Wayne Co. KY.
Children of JAMES NICHOLAS and ELIZA PARTON are:
i. LUCINDA4 NICHOLAS.
ii. ELIZABETH NICHOLAS, b. May 15, 1836, Wayne Co, Ky; m. SAMUEL WESTLEY TURPIN, Wayne Co, Ky; b. Wayne Co, Ky.
8. iii. BENJAMIN F NICHOLAS, b. January 10, 1840, Mill springs, Wayne Co. KY; d. October 21, 1930, Jameport, Davies Co. MO.
iv. JOHN NICHOLAS, b. 1847.
9. v. JAMES WESLEY NICHOLAS, b. December 07, 1848, Wayne Co. KY; d. November 04, 1927.
vi. ALBINA JANE NICHOLAS, b. 1851.
vii. MARY E NICHOLAS, b. April 03, 1853.
viii. DISA ANN NICHOLAS, b. 1859.
Generation No. 3
5. CORNELIUS4 PIERCE (ANNE3 NICHOLAS, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born 1821. He married LUCINDA S NICHOLAS February 06, 1845 in Wayne Co, Ky, daughter of ELISHA NICHOLAS and NANCY YOUNG. She was born Abt. 1827, and died Abt. 1880.
Children of CORNELIUS PIERCE and LUCINDA NICHOLAS are:
i. ISAAC5 PIERCE, b. 1846.
ii. ELIZABETH PIERCE, b. 1848.
iii. GEORGE W PIERCE, b. 1849.
iv. JAMES PIERCE, b. November 23, 1853.
v. MARY A PIERCE, b. March 1856.
6. WILLIAM F4 PIERCE (ANNE3 NICHOLAS, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born 1823. He married MALINDA 1847 in Wayne Co, Ky.
Child of WILLIAM PIERCE and MALINDA is:
i. JEREMIAH5 PIERCE, b. 1848.
7. USLEY4 GREGORY (MATILDA3 NICHOLAS, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born 1825 in Wayne Co, Ky, and died Abt. 1924. She married JOHN VAUGHN April 24, 1856 in Wayne Co, Ky, son of JAMES VAUGHN and ELIZABETH TROXELL. He was born 1828, and died Abt. 1910.
Children of USLEY GREGORY and JOHN VAUGHN are:
10. i. HIRAM5 VAUGHN, b. 1845.
ii. LEWIS VAUGHN, b. 1857.
iii. THOMAS VAUGHN, b. 1858.
iv. JAMES VAUGHN, b. 1860.
v. MARTHA E VAUGHN, b. 1862.
8. BENJAMIN F4 NICHOLAS (JAMES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born January 10, 1840 in Mill springs, Wayne Co. KY, and died October 21, 1930 in Jameport, Davies Co. MO. He married ELIZABETH FRAZER in Wayne Co. KY, daughter of GARRETT FRAZER and KEZIH HUTCHISON. She was born 1846 in Wayne Co. KY, and died in James Port, Davis Co, Mo..
Notes for BENJAMIN F NICHOLAS:
Buried at Gee's Creek Cemetery, Grundy Co, Mo
More About BENJAMIN F NICHOLAS:
Fact 1: October 1930, Gees Creek Cemetary, Grundy Co , Mo
Children of BENJAMIN NICHOLAS and ELIZABETH FRAZER are:
i. JESSIE5 NICHOLAS, b. Abt. 1860, Wayne Co. KY; d. Gilman City, Mo.
Notes for JESSIE NICHOLAS:
Jessie Nicholas also was Known as Doc Nicholas , He Lived in Gilman City, Mo.
ii. MARY ELIZABETH NICHOLAS, b. 1869; d. 1881.
Notes for MARY ELIZABETH NICHOLAS:
Mary Elizabeth died at age 12, unknown cause? unknown location
11. iii. TIMOTHY NICHOLAS, b. August 24, 1869, Wayne Co. KY; d. January 1922, James Port, Davis Co, Mo..
iv. HARRIET NICHOLAS, b. 1876; m. WILL EVANS; b. Mt. Moriah, Mo..
9. JAMES WESLEY4 NICHOLAS (JAMES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born December 07, 1848 in Wayne Co. KY, and died November 04, 1927. He married MARY C WOOLSEY, daughter of AAROW WOOLSEY and ELIZABETH COPENHAVER. She was born April 02, 1848, and died November 24, 1929.
More About JAMES WESLEY NICHOLAS:
Fact 1: November 1927, Tuttle Chapel Cemetery, hwy90, Frazer, KY
Children of JAMES NICHOLAS and MARY WOOLSEY are:
i. JAMES L5 NICHOLAS, b. 1868, mill springs, Wayne Co. KY.
ii. WILLIAM ALBERT NICHOLAS, b. 1871, mill springs, Wayne Co. KY; d. 1939, Le Roy, Mclean ILL.
iii. EMILY E NICHOLAS, b. November 08, 1880; d. January 29, 1902, Wayne Co, Ky.
iv. MARY JUNE NICHOLAS, b. 1883, wayne Co, Ky.
12. v. SAMUEL COWIN NICHOLAS, b. April 10, 1886, Wayne Co, Ky; d. September 14, 1960, Hot Springs, Garland Co, Ark.
vi. EFFIE NICHOLAS, b. December 1890, wayne Co, Ky.
Generation No. 4
10. HIRAM5 VAUGHN (USLEY4 GREGORY, MATILDA3 NICHOLAS, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born 1845. He married ELIZABETH GREGORY April 02, 1857 in Wayne Co, Ky.
Children of HIRAM VAUGHN and ELIZABETH GREGORY are:
i. REBECCA6 VAUGHN, b. 1858.
ii. JOHN VAUGHN, b. 1860.
iii. MAHALA VAUGHN, b. 1863.
iv. JAMES VAUGHN, b. 1868.
v. LEWIS VAUGHN, b. 1872.
vi. CHARLES VAUGHN, b. 1875; d. 1974; m. ROSE CLARK; b. 1877.
vii. SALAS VAUGHN, b. 1879.
11. TIMOTHY5 NICHOLAS (BENJAMIN F4, JAMES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born August 24, 1869 in Wayne Co. KY, and died January 1922 in James Port, Davis Co, Mo.. He married REBECCA JANE BELL 1897, daughter of PLEASANT BELL and CHARLOTTE WILLIAMS. She was born July 11, 1868 in Vandalia, Fayette Co, ILL, and died January 01, 1964 in James Port, Davis Co, Mo..
Notes for TIMOTHY NICHOLAS:
Timothy was alleged to have been friend of the James brothers and traded horses with both Jessie James and his brother, and generally helped the James Brother evade the law. Timothy raised horses to sell and did some farming on a farm located outside Jamesport Mo . in Grundy Co, near Gees Creek Cemetery, buried Gee's Creek Cemetery,Grundy Co, Mo
More About TIMOTHY NICHOLAS:
Fact 1: January 1922, Gees Creek Cemetary, Grundy Co , Mo
Notes for REBECCA JANE BELL:
Jennie Nicholas was living on a farm outside of Jamesport Mo until Timothy died then she moved into town,Jamesport Mo. She was an avid gardener and raised chickens on her property, I remember her cooking on a wood burning stove as a kid and making the best sugar cookies, which she always had for Jim and me . As she got well into her 80s Grandpa (Ralph) hired a woman to live with Jennie after she fell down the stairs and broke her hip. About a year into this arrangement Ralph got a telephone call from Jennie to inform him that the lady who was staying with Jennie to help her out had died while watching TV and that Jennie had found her dead in the chair with the TV still on when she got up the next morning, and that he shouldn't worry she had all ready made all the arrangements with the funeral home. Jennie had a stroke when she was 96? and was moved into a private home of a nurse who cared for several invalid people in Jamesport Mo and died there after several other strokes.
Children of TIMOTHY NICHOLAS and REBECCA BELL are:
i. WILLIAM FRANKLIN6 NICHOLAS, b. June 22, 1898, Mt. Moriah, Mo.; d. Los Angles Cailf.
Notes for WILLIAM FRANKLIN NICHOLAS:
William aka: Billy moved to Calif as a young man and was said to be quite the ladies man. Stories of him include him going out with all the Hollywood starlets and being a gambler in the roaring 20s which made him millions of $$$$$$ but alas he died after losing it all and was buried by the state of Calif, I don't think he ever married or had children.
ii. RALPH JENNINGS NICHOLAS, b. September 04, 1899, Mt Moriah , Harrison Co, Mo; d. October 10, 1991, Jamesport, Davis Co, Mo; m. MARJORIE MARY MACY, April 17, 1922, Daviess Co, Mo; b. December 04, 1902, Daviess Co, Mo; d. June 24, 1971, Jamesport, Davis Co, Mo.
Notes for RALPH JENNINGS NICHOLAS (Grandfather of participant #N9713):
Ralph worked for many years as a Freight Agent for the Rock Island Railroad
and Burlington Northern Railroad, He also at times ran a barber shop for a short while in Jamesport which he gave Jim and I butchers. He lived and worked most of his life around Jamesport Mo.
Ralph was an avid Gardener as he had over an acre of land behind his home in Jamesport , He and Marjorie canned a lot of fruits and vegs from his garden and made homemade wine, Ralph was very generous and gave a lot of fruits and vegs to needy families around Jamesport, His Finial years after Marjorie died he spent with Queeni who was a high school sweetheart, Ralph spent the last 20 years of his life with Queeni and lived with her for about 10 years until he couldn't take care of Queeni any longer, they both moved into a nursing home in Trenton Mo. where Ralph past away at the age of 92.
iii. FRED CLARANCE NICHOLAS, b. April 24, 1901, Mt. Moriah, Mo.; d. 1963, Hood River, OR; m. LORRAINE.
12. SAMUEL COWIN5 NICHOLAS (JAMES WESLEY4, JAMES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born April 10, 1886 in Wayne Co, Ky, and died September 14, 1960 in Hot Springs, Garland Co, Ark. He married (1) SUSAN FANNIE COPENHAVER, daughter of ROBERT COPENHAVER and NANCY EAST. She was born May 1885 in WAYNE Co, Ky. He married (2) VIRGINA MARTHA MYERS 1934.
Children of SAMUEL NICHOLAS and SUSAN COPENHAVER are:
i. ROBERT WESTLEY6 NICHOLAS, b. November 10, 1908, BETSY, WAYNE CO, KY; d. November 18, 1979, TULSA, TULSA CO, OKLAHOMA; m. MARTHA ELIZABETH SIERER, January 14, 1932, San Antonio, Bexar Texas; b. August 26, 1909, Hudson, Lenawee co, Michigan; d. December 17, 1997, Drumright, Creek co, Oklahoma.
ii. SAMUEL COWIN NICHOLAS, b. 1910.
iii. RUSHEN WILLIAM NICHOLAS, b. May 20, 1912.
iv. FLOSSIE M NICHOLAS, b. 1916.